- 1 large bunch rapini (broccoli rabe), trimmed
- About 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 Fresno or red jalapeno chile peppers, finely chopped, or 1 rounded tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- Freshly grated or ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1 1/2- 2 pounds spiral or link chicken sausage with broccoli rabe or Italian-style chicken sausage
- Splash of lemon juice, dry white wine or vermouth (about 2 tbsp.)
- Warm, crusty bread
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water; add the broccoli rabe. Blanch for 2 minutes. Drain, pat dry and arrange in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss with the olive oil, garlic, chiles, fennel seed and nutmeg; spread in a single layer. Top with the sausage.
Roast 10 minutes. Turn the sausage and stir the rabe. Continue roasting until the sausage is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer the sausage to a work surface and slice. Toss the rabe with the lemon juice. Divide the rabe and sausage among plates. Serve with the warm bread.