- Prep Time
- 8 links fresh chicken sausages or packaged Italian or Mediterranean chicken sausages
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1 1 pound pack frozen shredded potatoes (5 cups)
- 2 Cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more to pass around the table
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 loaf Italian bread, split or quartered lengthwise
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . In a deep skillet, arrange the sausages in a single layer, add about 1/2 inch of water and 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the liquid evaporates and the sausages are browned, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
While the sausages cook, in a large soup pot, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, Cubanelle peppers, bell peppers and onion, season with salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the basil, cheese, butter, sun-dried tomato paste and garlic. Spread the basil butter on the bread and cut into large bite-size cubes. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 5 minutes.
Slice the reserved chicken sausages, divide among 6 soup bowls, cover with the stoup and top with a few Gobble-'Ems. Pass the cheese around the table.