- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound chicken breast cutlets, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head napa or savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving
Bring a large pot of water to boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and garlic and cook, stirring, until the chicken is opaque, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the peanut butter, tamari, curry paste and tomato paste to the pot and stir. Increase the heat to medium-high and whisk in the chicken broth; add the ginger. Bring to a boil, then stir in the cabbage and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the apple juice.
Divide the pasta among 4 bowls. Ladle the soup over the pasta. Top with the bean sprouts, peanuts, scallions and cilantro. Serve with the lime wedges.