- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, patted dry
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 avocado--peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook in the pot until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to a work surface. Add three-quarters of the onion to the pot, lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for 1 minute.
Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and return to the pot with any of its juices. Stir in the rice, chicken broth and 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 18 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and avocado. Serve with the sour cream and remaining onion.