- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, quartered (3/4 lb. total)
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 3 cups thinly sliced rainbow chard
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium. Add the onion, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the lentils, the stock and 2 cups water; bring to a boil over high.
2. When the mixture comes to a boil, add the chicken, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Let cool, then chop into bite-size pieces.
3. Stir the coconut milk, spices and 2 cups chard into the soup; season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium until the flavors meld, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken; divide among 4 bowls. Top with the remaining 1 cup chard.