Recipe by Rachael Ray
This recipe originally appeared in our Winter/Spring 2021 issue. Get the magazine here.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 lb. total)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 cup (loosely packed) finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp. each dried oregano, rosemary, and thyme
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- About 1 1/2 cups olive or safflower oil, for shallow frying
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp.)
- 1 tbsp. white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey or sugar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. fennel pollen or ground fennel
- 1 large head escarole, coarsely chopped
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed, quartered and cored, then very thinly sliced with a knife or on a mandoline
- 2 large ribs celery with leafy tops, ribs very thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 small onion or half a medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (shaved with vegetable peeler)
- Salt and pepper
1. Arrange the rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 300°.
2. Starting on the thick side of each chicken breast, cut horizontally across the meat but not all the way through. Open it up like a book. Pound chicken to 1/4 inch thick. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Set up a breading station: Put the flour in one dish, put the eggs in another dish, and mix the breadcrumbs, panko, cheese, and seasonings in a third. Set up a frying station: Pour the oil into a large shallow frying pan. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil; arrange a wire rack inside the baking sheet. Put the baking sheet in the oven.
4. Heat the oil in the skillet over medium-high.
5. Working with one cutlet at a time, coat both sides with flour and then egg, then press into the breadcrumb mixture until completely coated. Add two pieces of breaded chicken to the oil and fry until deep golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining chicken and breading.
6. For salad: In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice, vinegar, honey, mustard, and fennel pollen. Toss with the escarole, fennel, celery, onion, and shaved cheese; season.
7. Divide the cutlets among 4 large plates. Top with the salad.