- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2/3 cup rice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 10 ounce package frozen whole-leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken, meat removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 9 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (2-1/4 cups)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . In a small saucepan, combine the rice with 1 1/3 cups water. Cover and simmer over medium-high heat until the water is absorbed, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool.
Brush the sides of a 9-inch pie pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. In a medium bowl, combine the cooled rice, parmesan cheese, egg and a pinch of pepper. Using lightly oiled fingers or a rubber spatula, press the rice mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a large, heavy skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the spinach and rosemary, season with salt and big time pepper and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Stir in the chicken and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
Lower the oven to 375 degrees . Fill the crust with the chicken-vegetable filling, leaving a 1-inch border at the top of the crust. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1-1/4 cups cheddar cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 30 minutes.