- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 8 ounce package dried lo mein noodles
- 1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 1/3 pound snowpeas, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts, for sprinkling
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Add the cabbage, bell pepper, mushrooms, snow peas and carrot; cook for 30 seconds. Drain the noodles and vegetables thoroughly.
Turn the heat under the skillet back to high. When the onions sizzle, add the soy sauce, sherry and sesame oil and let the mixture bubble for a few seconds. Add the noodles and vegetables; toss well. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are fully cooked and the peppers are tender but still slightly crunchy, about 3 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium, add the chicken and cook, stirring often, to heat through. Season with salt and sprinkle with the peanuts.