- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 heads garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen peas
In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the ginger and cook for 1 minute more. Add the chicken and 6 cups water; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool, then remove the meat from the bones; discard the bones.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup scallions, sesame seeds and 1 teaspoon salt. Drop 12 heaping tablespoons of the mixture into the simmering broth, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Divide the dumplings among 4 soup bowls. Simmer the peas in the broth for 1 minute, then return the chicken to the pot and cook until heated through. Serve in the soup bowls with the dumplings; sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup scallions and the extra sesame seeds on top.