- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped, plus 1 tsp. sauce
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut from the cob (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cans (15 to 15.5 oz. each) low-sodium red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh basil
In a large saucepan or a Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium. Add the garlic and most of the onion (save a small handful for garnish). Cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until the pepper starts to soften, about 2 minutes more. Add the chili powder; cook, stirring until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, chipotle and adobo sauce. Cover; simmer, stirring often, until the tomatoes are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the corn; simmer 5 minutes. Add the chicken and beans; cook, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the basil and reserved onion.