- Prep Time
- 8 ounces puff pastry shells, such as Pepperidge Farm
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Half of a red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 small bunch (about 10 ounces) asparagus, trimmed and cut on a diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ounce green peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
Bake the pastry shells according to package directions.
While the pastry shells bake, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Stir in the celery, carrots, onion and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the butter to the pan and melt. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth, add the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in the cream and bring just to a boil, then stir in the asparagus, peas and tarragon and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place 2 hollow pastry shells in each bowl and fill with Chicken a la Queen. Cover with pastry shell tops.