- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 16 ounces shredded cabbage
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 large half-sour or garlic pickles, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 pork or beef hot dogs, cut into 1-inch slices on an angle
In a large bowl, combine the mustard, vinegar, sugar and 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion, cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles and toss. Season the salad with salt and pepper; taste, adjust the seasonings and reserve.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 turn of the pan, then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them for a couple of minutes on each side, turning with tongs.
Mound the salad on plates, top with the seared dogs and serve.