- Prep Time
- 1 pound regular or thick spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 pound chunk pancetta, cut into small pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 pints small cherry tomatoes
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a couple generous handfuls)
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn or chopped
- 2/3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (a couple generous handfuls)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the red onion, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, parsley and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Cook until the tomatoes burst, 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir in the reserved pasta cooking water and then the pasta, tossing to coat. Turn off the heat, add the basil and cheese and serve.