- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 pound fresh cheese ravioli
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 2 scallions, white and green parts chopped separately
- A chunk of parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for shaving
- Crusty bread, for dunking
In a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid, or a Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes burst and a thick sauce forms, 7 to 8 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add the ravioli and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and scallions to wilt.
Serve the soup in shallow bowls and top with large shavings of the parmigiano cheese. Serve with the bread for dunking.