- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pints fresh sweet cherried, halved and pitted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 10 ounces buffalo mozzarella or fresh mozzarella, chopped or shredded
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- 24 half-inch-thick baguette slices (from 1 loaf)
In a medium saucepan, cook 1 pt. cherries, the sugar, 1 cup water, 1/2 tsp. lemon zest and the lemon juice over high heat, stirring often, until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, then mix in a blender until smooth; refrigerate until chilled. Fold the remaining cherries into the chilled cherry mixture.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a medium bowl, stir together the cheese, heavy cream and 2 tbsp. EVOO; season.
Arrange the baguette slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet; brush with a little EVOO. Bake until just crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Spoon a dollop of the cheese mixture onto each baguette slice and bake until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Top each toast with a dollop of the cherry mixture and a generous pinch of pepper. Sprinkle toasts with the remaining 1/2 tsp. lemon zest.