Recipe by Alison Cayne
Adapted from The Haven’s Kitchen Cooking School by Alison Cayne (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2017.
- Makes 2 (Serves 12)Servings
- 2 tsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise, or 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal (almond flour)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter two 8-inch pie dishes or ovenproof skillets and place on a baking sheet. Divide the cherries between the pie dishes, arranging in an even layer.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the milk; scrape in the seeds from the vanilla beans (or add the extract) and whisk to blend. Set 2 tbsp. of the sugar aside; whisk the remaining sugar into the egg mixture, then whisk in the flour and almond meal. Let rest 10 minutes. Pour the batter over the cherries, dividing equally, and sprinkle the reserved sugar on top.
3. Bake, rotating the baking sheet after 10 minutes, until golden brown, puffed, and set in the center, 25 to 35 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes on a wire rack (the center will fall slightly as it cools). Before serving, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if using.