- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3/4 pound zucchini, sliced into very thin rounds
- 2 small eggplants (about 1/2 lb. total), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 sheet (about 1/2 lb.) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup jarred arrabbiata sauce
- 1 small red onion, sliced into very thin rounds
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh basil
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Sprinkle the zucchini and eggplant on both sides with the kosher salt. Arrange in a single layer between double layers of paper towels; let sit 10 minutes.
On parchment paper, roll out the puff pastry to a 9-by-12-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough, on the parchment, to a rimmed baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, score a 1/4-inch border all the way around the dough, making sure not to cut all the way through. Using a fork, pierce the dough inside the border all over to prevent puffing during baking. Spread the arrabbiata sauce evenly on the dough inside the border.
Press the zucchini and eggplant rounds to remove excess moisture. Arrange the zucchini, eggplant, onion and garlic in rows on top of the sauce; season with pepper. Drizzle with the EVOO and top with the cheese. Bake until the vegetables are tender and the cheese is browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; sprinkle with the basil.