Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
|Active Time||Total Time||Servings|
1 hour, 25 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 6 tbsp. butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, 1 bay leaf, 2 sprigs fresh parsley, and 1 sprig fresh sage—tied together with kitchen twine
- 3 lb. sweet potatoes (preferably a mix of yellow and orange), peeled
- 2 cups grated Gruyère
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a saucepan, bring the cream, butter, and herbs to a simmer. Remove from heat. Using a mandoline or a food processor with the slicing disk, thinly slice the potatoes. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper. Toss in 1 cup cheese. Spread in a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
2. Discard the herbs in the cream; pour over the potatoes. Press down on the potatoes to partially cover with the cream. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese. Tent with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until the potatoes are tender and the top is browned in spots, 20 to 30 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
This recipe is part of our Southern-Style Ham & Biscuits holiday dinner menu. Get the rest of the recipes here.