- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, thinly sliced
- 2 6 ounce bags fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 slices leftover deep-dish cheese pizza, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and spinach and cook until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Add the pizza, half of the cheese, the chicken broth and basil and cook until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Season the stuffing with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
Using a spoon, scrape the gills from the inside of each mushroom cap and discard. Brush the top of each mushroom cap with olive oil and place upside down on a baking sheet.
Divide the stuffing among the mushroom caps; sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is bubbly, 20 minutes. Top with more chopped basil.