- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 teaspoons dashi no moto (instant dashi or fish-broth powder), available at Asian markets
- 1 teaspoon mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup finely diced chicken thigh (about 1 large thigh)
- 1/4 cup finely diced medium shrimp (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup finely diced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
Bring 2-1/2 cups of water to a boil and stir in the dashi powder. Remove from the heat and add the mirin and soy sauce. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then whisk in a few tablespoons of the dashi broth to warm the eggs. Whisk in the remaining broth, then strain the mixture.
Divide the chicken, shrimp, mushrooms and chives among 4 mugs. Top with the egg mixture (to almost fill the mugs), then cover each mug tightly with plastic wrap.
Place the mugs in the bottom of a large, deep saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Pour water into the pan until it comes halfway up the sides of the mugs, then remove the mugs.
Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to low, return the mugs to the simmering water and cover the pot. Steam the custards until set, about 45 minutes.