- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce, preferably Frank's RedHot, plus more for serving
- 4 6 ounces catfish fillets
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup store-bought tartar sauce
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning, preferably Old Bay
- 4 sandwich rolls, split and toasted
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
In a medium bowl, stir together the buttermilk and hot sauce; add the catfish and let marinate for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce and tartar sauce.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. On a sheet of wax paper, combine the flour and seafood seasoning. Remove the fish from the buttermilk and coat with the flour mixture. Add to the skillet and cook, turning once, until golden-brown and crisp, about 7 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
Top each roll bottom with lettuce slaw, followed by tomato slices, a fish fillet and a roll top. Serve with more hot sauce.