Recipe by Alexa Weibel
|Active Time||Total Time||Serves|
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup carrot juice
3 tbsp. butter
1 lb. carrots with greens—carrots peeled and cut into small cubes, plus 1/4 cup finely chopped greens
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup EVOO
1 tsp. orange zest plus 3 tbsp. juice (from 1/2 orange)
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
1. In a medium saucepan with a lid, bring the stock and carrot juice to a simmer, covered, over low heat.
2. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion, garlic, and fennel seeds; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the rice and stir until coated. Add the wine. Cook, stirring often, until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the stock mixture, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly between additions until absorbed, about 18 minutes total; season.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the EVOO, orange zest and juice, and carrot greens.
5. Stir 1/4 cup Parmesan into the risotto. Divide the risotto among 4 shallow bowls. Drizzle with the carrot-greens mixture. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.