Recipe by Michael Schlow
- Prep Time
- 12 large sea scallops (about 10 oz.), halved horizontally, then quartered
- 4 lemons—1 halved, 2 juiced (about 1/2 cup) and 1 cut into wedges
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 20 large cooked peeled and deveined shrimp (about 10 oz.), chilled
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery with leaves, ribs thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 small red chile, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
1. Place the scallops in a large metal or heatproof glass bowl. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add the halved lemon, bay leaf, peppercorns and 2 tbsp. salt; return to a boil, then pour the mixture over the scallops. Allow to sit until the scallops are just opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Transfer the scallops to a small bowl, discarding the brine mixture. Cover the scallops and refrigerate until cool.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the scallops, shrimp, onion, celery and leaves, parsley, chile and thyme with 1/2 cup EVOO and the lemon juice. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
3. Divide among 4 bowls. Drizzle with more EVOO and serve with the lemon wedges.