- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking grits
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 8 ounce package white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped smoked ham
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought chunky tomato or marinara sauce
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Grease a deep 10-inch pie pan. In a saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Stir in the grits, 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover, lower the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cooked, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup cheddar, 2 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons scallions and salt to taste. Pour into the prepared pie pan; spread evenly.
In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and remaining scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the ham, tomato sauce and remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
Pour the mushroom mixture over the grits. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar and bake until heated through and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.