- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces Pecorino Romano, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 1/2 pounds whole-leaf frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1. Preheat the broiler. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium. Add the shallots and garlic; cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg; cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cream; cook, stirring often, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Whisk in half the cheese and 1 tsp. pepper.
2. Add the spinach. Cook, stirring often, until hot and well combined, about 5 minutes. Transfer to an 8-by-8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Broil until the cheese browns, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with more pepper. Let cool 10 minutes.