Recipe by Marissa Allen
This recipe originally appeared in our Holiday 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 1 hour
Servings: Makes 9 cookie bars
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp. milk or water
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment or spray with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugars until pale in color, about 4 minutes. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined. (Do not overmix.) Using a silicone spatula, gently fold in the butterscotch chips.
4. Spread the batter in the pan and bake until the top starts to crack, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan.
5. To make the glaze, in a medium bowl, mix the confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth, adding a splash more milk if needed to thin the glaze.
6. Unmold the cookie and turn it right-side up onto a work surface. Drizzle with the glaze. Let the glaze firm up a bit, then cut into bars.