- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 cups coarse bulgur
- 2 teaspoons plus 4 tbsp. EVOO
- 1/4 cup angel hair pasta, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted then coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped dried figs
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt (optional)
In a medium bowl, soak the bulgur in warm water to soften, about 15 minutes; drain.
In a large saucepan, heat 2 tsp. EVOO over high. Add the pasta; stir to coat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring, until the pasta is golden-brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onion; cook, stirring, until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in the bulgur and 2 tbsp. EVOO. Add the broth; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until almost all the liquid is absorbed, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Place a clean dish towel between the pan and the lid, pressing down the lid tightly. Let steam, off heat, 20 minutes. Add the nuts and figs; fluff with a fork. Season and drizzle with the remaining 2 tbsp. EVOO. Transfer to a platter. Serve with yogurt, if using.