- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (I like Frank's RedHot or Crystal.)
- 8 all-natural hot dogs with no fillers, or if you're in the South, try Hot Pinks
- 8 good-quality hot dog rolls
- Grated carrots, finely chopped celery with leafy tops, and pickle relish, for topping
- 1 cup crumbled smoked blue cheese (I like Oscar's Smoke House, oscarsadk smokehouse.com.), for topping
Preheat a grill to medium-high.
Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high. Add the butter. When it melts, add the onions and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are very soft and deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add the hot sauce and reduce the heat to low, adding a splash of water if the onions get too dry.
Grill the hot dogs, turning occasionally, until dogs are heated through and casings are crispy, about 4 minutes.
Place the dogs in rolls; top with the onions, carrots, celery, relish and cheese.