- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as yukon gold (10 ounces total), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1-1/4 pounds), chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups shredded Swiss cheese (1 pound)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 thick slice ham (about 1/4 pound), cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1 pound loaf ciabatta bread, split and each half cut into quarters
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the potatoes and 3 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli, cover and cook just until tender, about 7 minutes. Using a blender, puree half the soup; combine with the other half. Stir in 2 cups shredded cheese, then stir in the cream. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm over low heat.
Preheat the broiler. In a medium bowl, using a fork, combine the remaining 2 cups cheese, the ham and mayonnaise. Season with pepper. Spread the mixture on the bread and broil until bubbly and golden. Serve the toasts with the soup.