- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 slice bread, crumbled
- 1 large egg
- Grated peel of 1 lemon, plus wedges for serving
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, for dusting
- Greek-style yogurt, for serving
In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the lamb, bread, egg, lemon peel, chopped mint, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg and cooked onion mixture; season with salt and pepper. Shape into 20 meatballs and dust with flour.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Working in batches, fry the meatballs until golden-brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Serve the meatballs with the mint leaves, lemon wedges and yogurt.