- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 day-old sourdough boule (1 lb.),cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 day-old rustic raisin-pecan loaf (1 lb.), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 inner celery ribs with leaves, finely chopped and leaves separated
- 2 crisp-tart apples, such as jonagoldcored, peeled and diced
- 3 - 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- coarse salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Spread out the bread cubes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
In a large saucepan or skillet, combine 2 tbsp. butter and the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery pieces (reserving the leaves) and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
Add the apple, toasted bread and celery leaves to a large bowl. Scrape in the onion-celery mixture. Stir in the remaining 4 tbsp. butter and 3 cups chicken broth, adding more if needed to coat well; season with salt and pepper. Let the mixture cool slightly, then stir in the eggs, parsley and sage.
Grease a medium shallow baking dish. Add the stuffing and spread evenly into the dish. Bake until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes.