- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 pounds chicken parts
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Salt and pepper
- 3 small onions (about 12 ounces), quartered
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced, fronds coarsely chopped for garnish
- 1 green apple, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup brandy, preferably apple
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Rub the chicken all over with the butter and season with salt and pepper. Place skin side up in a roasting pan, surround with the onions and bake until golden brown and the juices run clear, about 45 minutes.
Toss the sliced fennel with the apple and olive oil; season with salt. Top with fennel fronds and set aside.
Transfer the chicken and onions to a platter. Place the roasting pan over medium heat and bring the pan drippings to a simmer. Stir in the brandy, then cook briefly to burn off some of the alcohol. Add the cream and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Serve the salad alongside.