- Prep Time
- 8 slices bacon, preferably peppered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup loosely packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 6 - 8 ounces 3/4-inch-thick tuna steaks
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 4 large slices whole grain or peasant bread, halved
- 8 red-leaf lettuce leaves
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . On a slotted broiler pan, bake the bacon until crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, 7 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup water, the sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until thick, 7 to 8 minutes.
Season the tuna with the grill seasoning. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the tuna steaks and cook for about 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
Toast the bread and drizzle with EVOO. Top 4 slices with lettuce, 1 tuna steak, 2 bacon strips and a pile of tomato jam. Cover with the remaining toasts.