Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
|Active Time||Total Time||Servings|
2 hours 15 minutes (includes chilling)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups (about 12 oz.) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. pure peppermint extract
- 4 large egg whites (use pasteurized egg whites, if you like)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
1. In a small saucepan, bring the milk and sugar to a simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves; pour into a blender. Add the chocolate chips and both extracts; let stand for 1 minute to melt the chocolate. Blend on medium speed until the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. With the machine running, gradually add the egg whites; blend well, just 30 seconds or so. Divide the chocolate mixture among 8 small bowls or 6-oz. ramekins. Cover and refrigerate until the mousse is set while you finish cooking and eating dinner, about 2 hours.
2. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream to soft peaks. Top the mousse with the whipped cream and fresh mint sprigs.