Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
|Active Time||Total Time||Makes|
- 4 cups flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 stick cold butter, 7 tbsp. cut into 1/2-inch cubes and 1 tbsp. melted
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cheese, baking powder, pepper, salt, and baking soda. Add the cubed butter. Using your fingertips, smear the butter into the flour mixture until large pea-size pieces form. Add the buttermilk and stir until moist clumps form.
2. Dump the dough onto a work surface and knead 4 to 5 times to bring the dough together. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to an 8-inch square. Cut into 16 biscuits. Arrange on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet, spacing evenly apart. Brush with the melted butter. Bake the biscuits until puffed and golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve warm.
This recipe is part of our Southern-Style Ham & Biscuits holiday dinner menu. Get the rest of the recipes here.