- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granualted onion
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- A pinch freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 8 slices good-quality Italian bread
- 2 - 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Warm honey, for drizzling
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees . Heat a griddle pan over medium-high.
In a large bowl, combine the pork, wine, EVOO, fennel seeds, garlic, onion, sage, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Form into 8 small, thin patties. Add the patties to the griddle and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the sausage patties to a plate and keep warm in the oven. Wipe the pan clean and reduce the heat to medium.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, remaining 1 tsp. pepper, the cheese and nutmeg. Coat the bread in the egg mixture. Brush the griddle pan with the melted butter. Cook the French toast, turning once, until golden and cooked through, 5 minutes.
Divide the French toast among plates and serve with the sausage patties drizzled with warm honey.