- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper or foil baking cups. Using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add the egg and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, the remaining 1-1/2 cups sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, the baking soda and cocoa powder. Add 1-1/2 cups water, the oil, vinegar and vanilla and stir until smooth.
Fill each baking cup two-thirds full with the cake batter and top with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Bake until the edges are firm to the touch, about 25 minutes.