- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 small (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- Cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 to 15.5 oz.) low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons light sour cream
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . On a large, rimmed baking sheet, lightly spray the tortilla strips with cooking spray; arrange in a single layer. Bake until lightly browned and crispy, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool.
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium. Add the onion, carrot and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and oregano; cook, stirring often, until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid reduces slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and stock, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until the soup thickens and the flavors meld, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Let cool 5 minutes, then puree one-third of the soup in a blender. Pour the pureed soup back into the saucepan; stir. Divide among bowls. Top with sour cream and tortilla strips.