- 6 corn tortillas, halved, then sliced crosswise into thick strips
- All-natural olive oil or grapeseed oil cooking spray
- About 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (about 1/2 palmful) ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (about 1/2 palmful) ground cumin
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz.) black beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips or chopped
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- Sliced radishes, diced avocado, crumbled queso fresco or Cotija, cilantro leaves, sliced scallions and lime wedges, for serving
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Scatter the tortilla strips on a rimmed baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Season with salt and bake until deep golden, about 15 minutes.
In a medium soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, coriander and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and tomatoes. Stir in the kale, stock and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the kale wilts, the soup thickens and flavors blend, just a few minutes.
Divide the tortilla strips among shallow bowls; top with the radishes and avocado. Add a few ladles of soup and top with the cheese, cilantro and scallions. Serve with the lime wedges.