- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Lime dressing (see Step 1 of Avocado Salad with Cumin-Lime Dressing)
- 2 ripe avocados, coarsely chopped
- 2 15 ounce can black beans, 1 can drained but not rinsed, 1 can drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 cup flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Combine the dressing and the avocados and mash until smooth; set the guacamole aside.
In a food processor or blender, process the unrinsed black beans, the eggs, chopped cilantro, cumin, salt and hot sauce until combined. Stir in the flour and the rinsed black beans.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Working in batches, drop rounded tablespoons of the black bean mixture into the pan and fry, turning once, until crisp, about 4 minutes on each side; add more oil between batches if necessary.
Top the black bean cakes with the guacamole and cilantro leaves.