Recipe by Jackie Newgent, RDN
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Makes 13 cupsServings
- 3 tbsp. grapeseed or peanut oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño, finely chopped
- 10 cans (15 to 15.5 oz.) low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. lime zest
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 1 minute.
2. Stir in the beans, stock, 1 tbsp. salt and 1 1/2 tsp. pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime zest. Let cool completely before storing.
And... Freeze: Portion the beans and liquid into freezer bags labeled by recipe: 1 1/2 cups (salad), 1 cup (stuffed chicken), 1 1/2 cups (burgers), 3 cups (soup), 3 cups (tacos) and 3 cups (steak). Freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or microwave on defrost 5 to 7 minutes.