- Prep Time
- 1 salmon fillet (1 1/2 lbs.) with skin, rinsed well and patted dry, pin bones removed
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 medium beets, scrubbed and coarsely grated
1. On a work surface, place the salmon, skin side down, on a sheet of plastic wrap. In a small bowl, use your fingertips to mix the salt, sugar, fennel seeds and zest. Sprinkle over the salmon. Top with the beets, then a sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap crosswise with two long sheets of plastic wrap. Using a skewer, poke a dozen holes in the top and bottom of the plastic to allow the juices to drain while curing. Place, skin side down, on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet. Top with a plate, then with a few heavy cans; refrigerate 1 day.
2. Remove the cans and plate; turn the fish over. Refrigerate 1 more day. If desired, turn again and refrigerate 1 more day.
3. Unwrap the fish; brush off the beet mixture. Very thinly slice the salmon on a sharp angle.