Recipe by Ananda Eidelstein
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 lb. beef chuck, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Serrano chiles, 1 chopped and 1 sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 cup stout beer
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (15 to 15.5 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed
- 4 tsp. masa harina (instant masa)
- 8 small bags (1 or 2 oz. each) Fritos
- Toppings: shredded Monterey Jack, sour cream and lime wedges
1. Season the meat with salt and pepper. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium. Add the meat and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Set 1/2 cup of the onion aside for garnish. Add the remaining onion and the bell pepper to the pot; season. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped chile, garlic, tomato paste and spices. Stir constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Return the meat to the pot; add the beer. Cook, stirring and scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pot, until the liquid is almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the stock; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; simmer, stirring often, until the meat is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Add the beans; cook, stirring often, until the flavors meld, about 15 minutes. Stir in the masa harina; cook until thick, about 2 minutes. Spoon the chili into the Fritos bags. Add the toppings and the sliced chile.