- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ounces rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions (about 1 1/2 lbs.), chopped
- 3/4 pound 93-percent-lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 4 ounces reduced-fat mozzarella, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves torn
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook to almost al dente. Drain the pasta, rinse under cold water, then drain well again.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium. Add the onions; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 18 to 20 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Wipe out the skillet; add the beef, garlic and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often and breaking up with a spoon, until the beef is browned, about 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook until the liquid thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions. Season with salt; cook 1 minute. Mix in the pasta and 3/4 cup mozzarella.
Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella and the Parmesan. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes, then broil until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss the kale, the remaining 1 tbsp. oil and the vinegar; season. Using your hands, massage the kale until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Serve with the rigatoni.