- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, unpeeled, quartered through root end
- 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 6 cups beef stock
- 3 cinnamon sticks (each about 2 1/2 inches long)
- 4 star anise pods
- 1/2 pound beef eye round, frozen until just firm, then sliced very thinly against the grain
- 16 ounces rice noodles, cooked
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 red jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the onions and ginger, cut side down, and cook until browned, turning once halfway through, about 7 minutes. Add the stock, cinnamon sticks, star anise and 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the onion is tender, about 15 minutes.
Strain the stock; discard the solids. Return the stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Stir in the beef and cook over medium until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the noodles and fish sauce.
Divide the soup among bowls and garnish with the bean sprouts, jalapeno, basil and mint leaves.