CORN & TOMATOES
- 2 large ears sweet corn, kernels cut from the cob
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- A heavy palmful tarragon or basil leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- About 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 3 tbsp.)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 thinly cut slices of beef top round (about 6 oz. each)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup dried fine breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- Canola oil or other light oil, for frying
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees . Set a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven.
In a medium bowl, toss the corn, tomatoes, onion, herbs and garlic with the EVOO and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
Using a meat mallet, pound the beef 1/8 inch thick; season. Set up three shallow bowls for dredging: Mix the flour and sage in one, beat the eggs in the second, and mix the breadcrumbs, panko and cheese in the third.
In a large skillet, pour in 1/8 inch oil. Heat over medium to medium-high.
Coat 2 pieces of beef in the flour-sage mixture, then in the egg and finally in the breadcrumbs. Fry until deep golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining beef.
Divide the beef among plates and top with the corn mixture. Serve with the lemon wedges alongside.