- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds lean ground beef chuck
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) red kidney beans, drained
- Sour cream, grated cheddar, pickled jalapeno chiles and sliced scallions for topping
In a large dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat. Working in batches, brown the beef for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Pour off all but 2 tbsp. of fat from the pot. Add the onions and stir over medium-low heat until soft, 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and 3 cups water, scraping the pan. Return the meat to the pot. Stir in the chile powder, cumin, oregano, 1 tbsp. coarse salt, 1 1/2 tsp. pepper and the cayenne; cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook, stirring, for 40 minutes.
Skim the fat from the surface. Stir in the beans and cook for 5 minutes. Serve with the toppings.