- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 chopped poblano chiles
- 1-2 cups beef stock
- 1-3 cans (14 to 15.5 oz. each) kidney beans
Homemade chile sauce
- 1 ounce dried seeded ancho, guajillo or Hatch (New Mexico) chiles soaked in hot water 20 minutes, then pureed
In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
Toss ground beef in the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often and breaking up ground beef with a spoon if needed, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Toss in ground cumin, ground coriander and smoked paprika and stir until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
Add poblano chiles; season. Cook, stirring often, adding a teaspoon or two of oil if they start sticking, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Pour in beef stock. Add homemade chile sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
Rinse 1 to 3 cans kidney beans. Cook, stirring often, until flavors meld, about 15 minutes.