- JALAPEO RELISH:
- 1 small dill pickle, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- PINEAPPLE SLAW:
- 1/2 cup regular or low-fat plain greek-style yogurt (optional)
- 1 piece (1 in.) fresh ginger, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 bag (14 oz.) coleslaw mix or 1 small head white cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup crushed unsweetened pineapple, lightly drained
- SLOPPY TURKEY:
- 2 pounds ground all-white-meat turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 crusty whole grain rolls, split and toasted
Make the relish: In a bowl, stir all the ingredients together.
Make the slaw: In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the oil and vinegar. Place the coleslaw mix and pineapple in a medium bowl and pour in the dressing; toss to coat.
Make the sloppy turkey: In a large nonstick skillet, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and cook, crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon, until browned evenly, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with the grill seasoning and salt. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, 5 to 6 minutes. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Stir the sauce into the turkey mixture. Lower the heat and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile the sloppy turkey onto the toasted bun bottoms, then top with the jalapeno relish and the bun tops. Serve with the pineapple slaw.