- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1/2 carrot, finely shredded
- 2 28 ounce cans peeled whole tomatoes
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened and light golden-brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot and cook until the carrot is tender, about 5 minutes.
Using your hands, crush the tomatoes and add them with their juice to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring, then lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt.